Sunday, November 25, 2012

Space Checkers pt II: Singularity Chess

     To us, winning is not victory in the game, but finding the most novel way to end it. Both of us have highly developed but effectively suppressed competitive instincts.The game becomes a memetic Rochambeau; in my second turn I capture his bishop with my own from across the board, but he responds by taking my bishop with a knight that that had been his first move.
     Quickly, the board to my left gets pretty empty.
He puts my king in check with a rook in one corner. Then my surviving rook arcs around from the opposite corner to eliminate the threat. A move, I should note, that is not at all possible in regular chess.
     We were playing on a highlighter-green and printer-paper white board; because our board was drawn on a piece of printer paper then colored with a highlighter. It was the most convenient way to try singularity chess. Instead of the regular checkerboard, something distinctly different tiled the board. The ends looked like a normal board, but it got stranger near the center line.
     Singularity chess takes place one a board arranged around a particular point, the singularity.  There are quite a few forum threads floating around about it, but the best info can be found here. The website had "disabled" right click, so I feel sort of bad about copying one of their images, but then I decided that it's just punishment for trying to do something as inane as disabling right click.** Here it is; with a particularly interesting movement drawn in;
So the pawn gets a lot more exciting in this game. I honestly don't yet fully understand it, but it seems to come down to two things;
1) Movements that reflect their original movements by color
2) Movements that reflect the originals by grid

Related: In this post a few months ago, I waxed at length about a version of checkers set in space.

** If you don't know why this is inane, you and I need to have a nice long talk about the myth of "intellectual property."

No comments:

Post a Comment